You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. ~ C. S. Lewis
Dreams come in all shapes and sizes! Sure, you can dream BIG and really just GO FOR IT, but even the littlest of bucket list items can add up to experiencing a happy, fulfilling life. Here are a few things I’m hoping to experience (and some of the things I’ve been blessed to check off since starting this blog):
Dreams To Do:
- Find my Calling in Life (outside of motherhood, of course): I may be a grown up, but I’m still pretty clueless as to what my passion is and what I truly have to offer this world. Hopefully this little ole blog and this little ole dream list will help me get there eventually.
- Volunteer in Africa: When I was in college I spent a month in the Dominican Republic with a volunteer organization. I can easily say that it was the best month of my life. It opened my eyes up completely to the “real world” and allowed me to see how little people actually need to be happy. I would love to experience the same thing somewhere in Africa… that way I can go on a safari, too. 🙂
- Make (and sell) jewelry: I am an artist and I love crafts. I’ve dabbled in different things: I don’t really like sewing (too frustrating), I hate scrapbooking, knitting is painful… the only thing I ever really turned into a hobby was making these pretty tatted bead bracelets and selling them on the side. I eventually got too busy to keep up with the hobby (it took me at least an hour just to make one bracelet by hand). So, I am determined to find a form of jewelry I can make FAST and maybe sell on the side.
- Be an extra in a movie: Really I have no clue as to what goes into being an extra, but I’ve just always wanted to do it just so I can say I was in a movie. Don’t you think that would be a fun thing to be able to tell people?
- Attend a Red Carpet Event: The Grammys? The Oscars? It really doesn’t matter to me. I just want an excuse to wear a dramatic ball gown (oh how I miss the days of proms and homecoming dances) and be surrounded by celebrities. Seems like it would be fun to me!
- Go on a Disney Cruise: To me, Disneyland is seriously the happiest place on earth. I could live there. So the fact that there is a Disney Cruise to a private island is a MUST on my list of things to do with my fam. Can’t wait to take the kiddos some day!
- Invent Something: You know how I’m pretty much obsessed with discovering my calling in life? Well I’ve always had a strong feeling that it will have to do with inventing something. Just waiting for that great big idea to pop into my head.
- Volunteer with a local non-profit on a regular basis: While I do volunteer at local charity events once or twice each year, I really want to find an organization that I can develop a relationship with and dedicate steady time each week/month to. It’s good for the soul.
- Buy a Condo in Hawaii: It’s pretty much my favorite place to vacation, so why not?
- Learn Adobe Illustrator: I’ve always loved graphic design, but don’t even know how to utilize the main program graphic designers use! I recently signed up for an Illustrator class and I’m slowly going through the tutorials, so I should be able to cross this one off soon.
- Inspire Others: I hope that my little ole blog can grow to become a place of inspiration for others out there – others who are still trying to find their place in this great big world.
Dreams I’ve Done:
- Take a photography class: Completed Jan. 2013! While it wasn’t in a classroom, it was a great intro to photography class that I took online through Flying Photo School. I now understand how to manipulate the settings on my camera and can successfully shoot in manual mode!
- Make a quilt: It may not be a big, fancy, elaborate quilt, but I did indeed make one (see these posts).
- Take a fitness class/get my ass in shape: Shortly after having Landon, I got in the best shape of my life taking regular Bar Method classes. I kept it up through my whole pregnancy with Roman and luckily my body bounced back quickly after having him. Now I just have to try to keep it up. 🙂
- Have another baby (or 2): When I first started this blog, I only had my daughter Leila! So yeah, I can definitely say I accomplished this dream. Ha!
- Work less, be with my family more: In April 2013 I FINALLY got up the nerve to ask my boss if I could cut back my hours and he said YES. And then when Roman was born, I finally pulled the plug completely on my job of 7+ years and became a SAHM. I am SO happy with my decision.
- Become a DIYer: In 2012 I committed to a Monthly DIY project and it definitely got my creative juices a-flowing! Now I just need to get back into that rhythm!
- Go Zip Lining: The hubby & I flew through trees, over valleys and waterfalls, in Kauai in March 2013. It was everything I hoped it would be.
- Get published elsewhere: While this is technically an ongoing dream, I was honored to write an article for the What To Expect website a couple years ago and I also spent two amazing years writing (a ton of articles), photographing, and editing for the website Daily Mom.
- Master “The Secret” (i.e. The Law of Attraction): Several years back my mom gave me the book The Secret, and I loved the concept and the ideas presented in it, but I sucked at implementing any positive thinking in my own life. While I wouldn’t necessarily say I “mastered” the law of attraction, I am SO MUCH better at controlling the energy I put out into the world. I’ve learned to believe in good and let good things happen.