March 2014 archive
I just want to start this by saying I am so, so, so sorry for those of you still living with snow and freezing temps. Here, it’s still chilly, but the sunshine mixed with occasional spring rain is finally starting to turn things green. Add this to our extended daylight hours and I am feeling happy! My mood and mindset seriously changes with the season and I’m finally starting to fly out of the winter funk! I can’t imagine still having to live with snow (knocking on wood because it isn’t completely unusual to see snow in April here). Here are a few other things besides the weather making me happy lately…
- Bright nail polish! I am on a nail-painting streak lately. Usually my fingers are naked because I’m too lazy to keep up with the painting, but something about spring just makes me want to have a hot pink or mint green nail going on. Looking down and seeing that pop of color makes me happy.
- My skin is finally clearing up! I had awful acne on the edges of my face in the first trimester and it is finally almost gone and the scarring is fading, too. The bacne on the other hand is still a work in progress. I’m just happy to not have to wear as much makeup these days.
- Food. When you’re pregnant food is everything. It’s pretty much my #1 source of happiness these days. Mmmmmmmm. This past weekend my highlights included take out Thai food and drumsticks ice cream cones.
- My mint scarf from World Market. Technically, it’s a “shawl” according to World Market, but whatever. I bought it there for $9.99 and my co-workers can attest to the fact that I’ve been wearing it a lot lately. It’s pretty much my favorite color right now and is the perfect transitional winter to spring piece. I highly recommend.
- Last night I went to get in bed and was totally startled to find my two-year-old all tucked in perfectly under the covers on my pillow. I seriously died of laughter! He’s been in the big boy bed for a couple of weeks now and we haven’t had any issues with him getting out until last night. Somehow we missed the whole charade on the video monitor, but he successfully wandered down the hall and put himself to sleep in our bed. It still makes me smile thinking about it.
- Baby boy in my belly! Duh, how could he not make me happy? Well, I mean besides the reflux and occasional hip pain, I am loving pregnancy and loving my little man. And I’m 26 weeks now!
Ugh, not a fan of this week’s photos. Totally over-exposed them in camera and this was the best I got. I think my face is rounding out a little along with my belly?
26 week pregnancy tid bits…
- I have my monthly OB appt. on Wednesday (along with the joyous glucose test). I’m going to ask about meds I can take for my reflux. Tums just seriously isn’t cutting it anymore.
- Sleep is horrible because of the reflux. Even if I stop eating after 7pm (super hard to do!) it still kills me. I basically have to sleep sitting up.
- Wearing a balanced mix of maternity and regular clothes these days, although I’m retiring more and more of my pre-pregnancy wear. Black leggings and tunic tops are pretty much my go-to pieces for work. Sometimes I’ll put on jeans for the weekend. Those ones in the pics above are the last pair of non-maternity that still fit me! I used to have to always wear a belt with them, though.
- Baby boy had a serious growth spurt over the past week as his kicks are becoming much stronger! Finally at the point wear I can lounge on the couch, pull up my shirt and actually watch my belly move around. So cool.
- I think Landon is still pretty clueless about this baby thing, but when I show him my big belly he will slap it (sometimes a little too hard) and say “Hi, brudder!” Seriously slays me. Sometimes if I’m lucky he’ll give him a kiss. 🙂
- I have not bought a single item for baby boy yet. Pretty impressive, huh?
And now for the always much anticipated (HA!) belly shot flashback…
Hope you have a wonderful week!
I don’t know about you, but I’m guessing the vast majority of us are still trying to find our place in this world. I mean, it’s not like we’re wandering around lost, but maybe we just don’t feel like we really fit in where we are. That would be me, never quite feeling like I’m exactly where I belong.
There is so much out there that claims we need to find our “niche” in order to truly be successful. Mainly this is a business perspective, but I think it expands beyond just career. I can tell you right now that I will never, ever, ever be able to define myself within one area. I will never find a career that will fulfill my heart through all of my existence. I will never be content to define myself solely as a mother. I’m a working mom who doesn’t love her job, a Christian who doesn’t go to church, a numbers analyzer who is passionate about art. I’m what the brilliant Emilie Wapnick defines as a “multipotentialite” – someone with many interests or talents who can’t be classified in one specialized area. What about you?
I’m learning to really own this fact about myself, the fact that I will never be able to settle into one comfort zone, to fit in with one group of people, or find one niche that can truly be mine. But, this doesn’t mean that I don’t feel lonely or left out or lost from time to time. In fact I still very much struggle with the desire to want to find my place. I would love to be a stay at home mom and really own it. On the flip side, I would love to find a career that I wake up salivating for each and every day. I would love to live and breath a purpose. I would love to find my niche.
But, I’m happy. I may have my moments of confusion about where I fit in within the grand scheme of life, but I’m very content with where I am in the here and now. If at the end of the road I still feel a little bit lost, but I’ve managed to raise three successful, happy human beings, I will die a content woman. If you feel alone, confused, lost, left out, or you feel like you’re often wandering aimlessly through this life with no straight and narrow definition as to where you are heading, you are SO not alone. There are A LOT of us. In fact, I think most of us feel this way from time to time. It’s just about learning to accept it, own it, and trusting a force greater than ourselves to lead us where we need to be.
I am so frigging angry with myself right now. I just went to upload a bunch of pics I took this weekend and realized that I formatted my memory card earlier, just because. I guess I was having a pregnancy brain moment, thinking there was nothing on the card. SO MAD!!! Losing photos is seriously one of the worst feelings. Those are moments that you can never get back. And while yes, it is important to live in the moment, it is also nice to document those moments. Lately I’ve been having some photography anxiety. I just bought a 2 TB external hard drive to store all of my photos that were taking up practically my entire computer’s drive. Now I’m stressing out over something happening to this new hard drive and thinking I should be backing it up to another one. I’ve lost a hard drive full of photos before and it just about killed me. Sigh.
Anyway, all of this useless panic over teeny tiny things is most likely stemming from my pregnancy (at least that’s what I get to blame it on for the next 3 months). As of today I am 25 weeks along! CA-RA-ZY!
(Love that I caught my hubby raking in the background and captured my daughter in a pic this week.)
Pregnancy tid-bits at 25 weeks…
- My belly is rounding out and I really feel pregnant this week. Not that I didn’t before, but there is absolutely nothing I can do to hide it now. Not that I was trying to hide it. 🙂
- Every day I’m getting more and more excited that I’m having another little boy. We’ve started talking about names and have a couple of ideas, but I refuse to share because I don’t want people’s opinions swaying my decision.
- This is absolutely my favorite stage in pregnancy. I’m at the “cute” stage and feeling really good and energetic. A little bit heart broken that this is my last season of experiencing this.
- I am a bottomless food pit. Seriously, the amount I can consume in one sitting is mind boggling. We went to breakfast a little while back and I couldn’t decide between a few items, so I ordered it all. And, I ate it all. An omelet, hash browns, biscuits & gravy, pancakes. My husband was disgusted by me. And the strangest part is that I didn’t even feel sickeningly full when we left.
- My only negative thing to report this week is that the heartburn is horrendous. It’s getting worse and worse. The other night I woke up several times with stomach acid seriously choking me. I’d have to get up and rinse my mouth out and try to sleep upright. My diet is probably not helping matters.
And that’s about all I have to say for now. Here’s another little blast from the past…
Sometimes life can feel mundane. We get caught up in the same rhythm of time day in and day out: wake, eat, work, eat, work, eat, sleep, repeat. I don’t know about you, but if I’m not constantly making fun and exciting plans for the future or trying new things or going new places, I easily fall into a dark rut. And the fact of the matter is that we can’t always make fun plans or do exciting things. Sometimes we only have the finances or the focus to survive our current day-to-day.
This is why it is so important to focus on the little happy bits and pieces of our every day existence. Your children’s laughter drifting down the hall. A candy bar indulgence. A new pair of shoes in the mail. Your favorite show on TV. All the little things that bring you joy and deserve to be celebrated even though they are often masked by stress and exhaustion. Next time something brings a smile to your face amidst the chaos or the mundane, savor it. Soak it up. Turn that little moment into something bigger.
Here are some of the happy little bits and pieces of my life lately, captured on my trusty iPhone…
A crisp spring-like walk to the park with my loves…
Tackling a ridiculous mountain of laundry on a sunny afternoon…
Picking up Daddy from the airport after 3 days without him…
Getting my doTerra essential oils in the mail…
Iced coffee and sunshine with my doggy…
Sunshine and sunglasses after 5pm…
A bright and sunny bedroom update…
Between all of these photos were many moments of tears, of fighting, of stress, or self doubt, of exhaustion. However, when you piece them all together, it paints a rather pretty picture of life. A reminder that life really is good.
Oh man, I can’t believe it’s back to work tomorrow. So sad. I am coming off the best week ever. Seriously, if you are a working mom I highly recommend taking a week off work and still sending your kiddos to daycare. Leila and Landon spent Monday-Wednesday (their normal schedule) at “school” while I was free to do whatever I pleased. Basically, I nested like my life depended on it. I painted my bed a beautiful light blue (more to come on this – it’s SO pretty). I also went shopping and watched TV in the middle of the day. It felt so good. And then the past 4 days were spent with my little loves. The perfect combo of me time and them time. And unlike a week long vacation to a far off land, this one seriously dragged on forever! So, so good.
Through it all, my belly (and butt) continues to grow and I’m now 24 weeks pregnant!
On a side note, YAY for maxi skirt weather! Seriously, a preggo woman’s dream.
What’s going on at 24 weeks pregnant with baby #3…
- Lots of movement from baby, but nothing too crazy. I’m putting it out to the universe that this one is going to be one chill and easy-going little guy.
- Eating like it’s my job. Latest craving is nacho cheese Doritos with queso. Healthy, I know.
- Yesterday I took my first in-studio Bar Method class since last year and it felt great. However, today I seriously can hardly move. I’m going to try to get back into going once a week through the rest of my pregnancy. We’ll see.
- I’ve been having nightmares lately. Like really scary, disturbing ones. Not a fan.
- Leila moved into her own bedroom this week and Landon moved into a big boy bed! Both are doing so well in their new sleeping situations. Can’t believe my babies just keep growing up.
- My lower back kills me when I wake up in the morning.
- Acid reflux can go to hell.
- Overall, feeling very happy and blessed, though!
I will try my hardest to get back to regular posting – it’s killing me because I have so many things I want to talk about, but lacking motivation in the evenings to actually sit down in front of a computer! As soon as I get around to snapping some good pics of my bedroom, I can’t wait to show you the update! I’m seriously obsessed. 🙂
And now for the usual blast from the past (24 weeks with Leila and Landon)…
Hope you have a happy week!