Yesterday was one of those days that made me question everything. You know how if your day doesn’t start off right or according to some semblance of normal it throws everything else off? Yeah, that. Now that Landon’s in a twin bed he will just walk down the hall and come pull the covers off of me yelling, “Get out!” to wake me up in the morning. While he usually sleeps until 6/6:30 (totally doable for me), yesterday he decided on 5am. Momma wasn’t having it. I carried him back to his bed where he proceeded to head butt me in the nose resulting in one of the worst bloody noses I have ever had. Landon won that one – I was wide awake after that.
So yeah, my day started off rough. Work was sub-par. The evening was tough. Third trimester exhaustion coupled with the 5am wake up had me wanting nothing more than to crash on the couch and watch some TV. Of course, when you have two kids to feed and bathe and a husband that works until 8pm, that can’t happen. My little Lando was also feeling the early morning effect (coupled with a crappy nap at daycare, I’m sure) and was a BEAST. He was throwing tantrums over the tiniest of things. I almost lost it.
As I was trying to get him in bed (he wasn’t having it) I was bombarded with self-doubt. I can’t do this. I’m not cut out for motherhood. How the heck am I going to survive having THREE kids? What did I get myself into? I let exhaustion and the fact that I couldn’t control my two-year-old defeat me. Logically, I know I’m a great mom, I know I’ll be just fine with three kids, and I know my kids love me. But in that moment, I doubted it all. Unfortunately, in parenthood we can’t avoid occasional days like this.
Fast forward to today. It’s a new day – a fresh start! And I didn’t have to wake up to a bloody nose. The truth is, after the storm passes you appreciate the sunshine just a little bit more. My kids are my world. And my son is in the throws of the terrible twos. It will pass. These moments are fleeting. So, if you’re stuck in one of those no good, very bad, horrible days, take a deep breath. Push through. Before you know it, the sun will set and you will get a do-over.
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you know what happiness is to you
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like that’s what you wanna do
Sorry, I think I’ve been bitten with the happiness bug! I don’t know if I’m necessarily “glowing” like you supposedly do when you’re pregnant, but I sure do feel good. A common thread in all of my pregnancies (and probably the reason I love being pregnant so much) is the carefree attitude I get. The prospect of new life and something great to look forward to makes every little normal irritation seem like nothing. I’m just happy. Also, I cannot get enough of the longer daylight hours and warmer temps – I’m such a sucker for spring and summer!
Ugh, I wish I would have edited these photos a bit more. Oh well.
Happenings at 28 weeks pregnant…
- Every day someone tells me my belly has grown since they last saw me. Shocker!
- I really can’t get over how big my belly is this time around either, though.
- Getting dressed each morning is becoming more of an issue. I have a few go-to outfits, but since I am HORRIBLE at keeping up with laundry, I’m usually scrambling to find something to wear that fits me comfortably.
- Current cravings: pasta salad and cherry coke.
- I still haven’t purchased anything except for some Honest diapers for my little man. What is wrong with me?
- Baby is as active as ever, kicking away almost all of the time.
- The warmer weather is making the reality of my situation really kick in. It’s easier to imagine our summer evenings spent outside with THREE kids now.
- I bought some maternity Spanx last week and I’m now wondering how I survived my other 2 pregnancies without them.
- I’m feeling the 3rd trimester already – definitely starting to get lazier and feeling the call of my bed earlier in the evenings. It doesn’t help that I have a 2-year-old who likes to wake me up at 5am now. Sigh.
- In less than three months I will be holding this little bundle in my arms. I’m really trying to savor each day I have left of this pregnancy and life as a mom of two. Before I know it, he’ll be here and my life will never be the same as it is right now.
Sheesh, now I’m feeling all sentimental and teary eyed! Oh, the joys of pregnancy.
Blast from the past time! Yep, I’m officially much bigger this time around…
When I was really little, my brother’s girlfriend lived with us for a while (my oldest bro is 15 years older than me). Since I never had a sister, I totally looked up to her and wanted to be her when I grew up. She did some modeling at the time and I remember going to one of her fashion shows and staring up at her on the runway in awe. At home she would dress me up in her clothes and do my hair and I would strut my stuff in front of my family. I remember my mom taking photos of me with my hand on my hip and a serious look on my face. I wish I could find those photos.
For a long time I thought I wanted to be a model when I grew up. While I now have zero desire to model professionally, I still find it fun and had the best time playing model and photographer for Daily Mom recently. Here are a couple of pics from my photoshoot for the AMAZING maternity clothing line Ingrid & Isabel:
You can see more photos and read the full post HERE.
I may not have a ton of money and I may not work a job that I absolutely love, but I feel so blessed for the opportunities I have been given to pursue other interests and to continue to learn and grow. And now I’ll quote one of my faves:
You’re never too old to set a new goal or to dream a new dream.
~ C.S. Lewis
FYI: If you are expecting a baby or plan on being pregnant in the future, I very highly recommend Ingrid & Isabel for maternity clothing. Seriously, the clothes I have from them are the softest, most comfortable, well-made maternity clothes. I’m gonna hate to say goodbye to the items I own after this pregnancy!
I had an OB appointment last Wednesday and was smacked across the face with a crazy realization. I’m one of those people who doesn’t own a scale and doesn’t even think about my weight in terms of a number. In fact, the only time I ever even know my weight is during my annual exam or of course, when I’m pregnant and going to the doctor regularly. Well folks, I am officially 27 weeks pregnant today and I’ve already reached my ending pregnancy weight with Leila (my firstborn). Isn’t that insane?! I think it just completely took me by surprise because I don’t feel very big and I don’t feel like I’m putting on as much weight as I apparently am. I’m not sad about it, just shocked. I’m telling myself it’s because I was way too skinny when I got pregnant with Leila and now I have a lot more muscle mass.
Other happenings at 27 weeks…
- I faced the dreaded glucose test at my last appointment and passed! Always nervous because I failed it my first pregnancy and had to go back for the 3 hour test (in which you have to fast which is just pregnant woman torture).
- Night time acid reflux is under control now! I’m taking Zantac before bed and it seriously is the greatest invention ever.
- I think we may have a name! Sorry, I can’t tell. First of all, we aren’t certain and second, I just like to keep some things a surprise.
- Baby is getting strong! As I type, I’m actually experiencing some sharp pains on my lower right side where he is pressing firmly into something. Not comfortable at all.
- My hubby’s nickname for me these days is “Whale.” While I should be offended, it just makes me laugh every time.
- Food obsession of the week? Tacos. Particularly, my hubby’s shredded pork tacos with avocado and slaw. Mmmmm.
- Another obsession? The Divergent book series. It’s funny because I just realized that I read the Twilight series when I was pregnant with Leila, the Hunger Games series when I was pregnant with Landon, and now Divergent with baby #3. I guess being pregnant just inspires me to read teen supernatural/futuristic fiction. HA! But seriously, if you need a book recommendation and you enjoyed Hunger Games, try Divergent. So far, so good.
And that’s about all for now! It’s funny because at the start of each week I outline a few blog posts in my head that I want to write that week and for some odd reason sleep and TV just takes precedence. Pregnancy makes me a bad blogger. Oh well, only 3 months to go!!!
Blast from the past time…
Until about a year ago I was still using the same beauty products I’ve used since high school. While I still love a lot of my old standbys, I’ve really opened up to playing around with new products and brands and even spending a little bit more to go beyond my usual drugstore picks. A lot of this has to do with the fact that I am highly influenced (and inspired) by other bloggers’ reviews of products. I mean, who doesn’t love seeing what others use and love? I know I do! That’s why today I thought I’d share some of my recent beauty discoveries that I’m fond of.
1. Tarte cheek stain in Blissful
I discovered this lovely while aimlessly (and kidlessly) wandering the aisles of Sephora one day. I’m a big fan of Tarte’s Amazonian Clay Blush, so when I saw that they were now making a cheek stain in a a stick I was intrigued. What I love about this is that it is paraben and phthalate free (like all of Tarte’s products), is easy to use, can easily be built up for more color, and it smells amazing! It seriously smells like pink lemonade – I don’t know if it’s just a pregnancy thing, but I want to eat it up! It comes in several colors (so hard to decide) and I finally settled on Blissful which is a warm peachy color. This stain will be perfect in the summer when I usually go make-up free on my face.
2. Dior Addict Lip Glow
This is the most I have ever spent on a lip product before, but I have no regrets. I love a little color on my lips, but I tend to stick to chapstick most of the time since my lips are always so dry. This is the PERFECT combo of color and moisture. This sheer balm has some sort of fancy-schmancy color reviver technology that automatically adjusts to your lips. So, when you first put it on it doesn’t look like much, but the color slowly develops within a couple of minutes. Pretty cool! The Dior Addict Lip Glow featured above is pink, but the one I actually own is the limited edition coral version they came out with a few months ago (it looks like it’s no longer available – boo hoo). I love the texture of this, the adorable container, the hint of color, and the taste (I’m very picky about how my lip products taste).
3. Juicy Malibu Rollerball Duo
Once again while wandering the aisles of Sephora I decided to sample some perfume. I immediately gravitated towards the Juicy Couture Malibu bottle because it looked tropical and I’m obsessed with tropical scents (anything that can transport me back to Hawaii, I’ll take)! I sprayed a little on a card and sniffed. Mmmmmmm. I then made the commitment to try some on my body. I shopped around for a while and couldn’t stop smelling myself. I wasn’t about to spend $70 on new perfume, so I opted for this travel rollerball duo. The 2 scents it comes with are very similar, but I love the orange side. If you love fruity tropical scents, give this one a try! I love that it’s small and the perfect size for my purse.
4. Revlon Nail Enamel in “Eclectic”
I’m pretty much obsessed with all things mint or turquoise and this color is the perfect mix! When I first started painting my nails with it, I was disappointed because it was so sheer – it took me 3 coats to get the color thick enough! However, no joke I went a week without a chip and got so many compliments on the color. Not to mention that it makes me smile every time I look down at my nails.
5. L’Oreal Voluminous Butterfly Mascara
Hands down my favorite mascara ever is Benefit’s They’re Real, but it costs a pretty penny and I seem to go through this mascara pretty dang quickly. So, I decided I needed to go back to the drugstore drawing board to try to find one to use in between They’re Real purchases. Just a few days ago I snatched up this one from L’Oreal and I really like it a lot. It builds up nicely and gives good separation. I think I’ll stick with it for a while.
6. Benefit High Beam Highlighter
I got a sample size of this in a Benefit gift set I bought around Christmas and I love it. It’s a sparkly pink highlighter in a nail polish bottle – just dab a few spots on your cheek bone, brow bone, cupid’s bow and rub it in. It adds such a subtle shimmer and really accentuates those areas. I don’t usually wear eye shadow, but I’ll put some of this on my lids and it looks really pretty.
Have you discovered any new products lately that you can’t live without?
If so, please do share!